Antedating of "Amphibian" (n.)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 6 07:36:49 UTC 2014

I don't think it's quite an antedating so much as an alternative
meaning. The standard definition (B.1.) identifies the members of the
phylum Amphibia or, perhaps, those animals that have previously
classified as related (particularly water-dwelling reptiles, such as
tortoises). This corresponds to A.2. adjective definitions, with
A.3./B.3. clearly derived from that. But A.1. contains a more general
definition (two modes of existence), with the sole example representing
only the figurative meaning (apparently also corresponding to B.2.).
This would also explain the alternative spelling--amphibian for
adjective/amphibion for noun.

     VS-)

PS: This is also a nice example of barbecue v. and buttarga (an example
of which I have in my fridge right now, but spelled "bottarga", contrary
to the OED etymological note claim).