"Something there is that doesn=?windows-1252?Q?=92t_?=love retroactivity."

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 6 17:18:26 UTC 2014

FWIW, I demur on the analysis.  As I said earlier, I think it's just topicalization of an indefinite, rare but (as work by Prince, Ward, Birner, Gundel et al shows) not unprecedented, even outside poetic contexts.  No heavy NP shift since the relative clause in question ("that doesn't love a wall") stays put, while its head is extracted (or lopped off and tossed forward).  The source is "There is something that doesn't love a wall".  Note that your immediate source below is *really* awkward, much more so than Frost's line.  Let a hundred analyses bloom.

LH