Request Help with Quote: I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go into the library and read a good book. Groucho Marx

Wed Jan 8 17:23:15 UTC 2014

Groucho Marx made a famously acerbic remark about television that I
have been asked to trace. I have gathered conflicting information
about the first appearance of this quotation. Multiple sources state
that the quote appeared in an essay titled "King Leer" by Groucho
Marx. One source stated that the essay was published in a periodical
called "Tele-Views" in September 1950. "Tele-Views" was similar to "TV
Guide". It primarily contained television program listings, and it was
published weekly, so multiple issues were released in September 1950.

I was unable to find an entry for "Tele-Views" in Worldcat though
using Google I did find a full scan of an issue from 1951 and
descriptions of some other old issues for sale. Perhaps some ADSLer
could help me to access 1950 issues of "Tele-Views".

The February 9, 1951 issue listed the following information:
Published weekly by Tele-Views News Co., Rock Island, Illinois.
Printed by Tri-City Review Publishing Co. Rock Island, Illinois.

The essay "King Leer" was reprinted in "The Essential Groucho" (2000).
The acknowledgement in the book was to "Tele-Views", but no date was
given. The final paragraph of the essay asked readers to watch the
forthcoming television broadcast of "You Bet Your Life" which
premiered in October 1950. Hence a publication date of September (or
August) 1950 makes sense. Details for this citation are given further
below.

The book "Groucho Marx and Other Short Stories and Tall Tales" (1993)
stated that "a September 1950 piece called 'King Leer' appeared in
television listings around the country". Details further below.

A different version of the quotation ascribed to Groucho was printed
in the August 1950 issue of Reader's Digest. This is the earliest
citation I have located, but the quotation was freestanding, and the
words were not written directly by Groucho. Details are given further
below.

The Yale Book of Quotations lists a version of the quotation with the
following cite: "King Leer" (1947). Perhaps Fred can provide further
information. Maybe a manuscript of "King Leer" had a 1947 date written
on it?

Here are selected citations:

[ref] 2000, The Essential Groucho: Writings by, for, and about Groucho
Marx, Selected and edited by Stefan Kanfer, ("King Leer" by Groucho
Marx; reprinted from "Tele-Views"; undated), Start Page 207, Quote
Page 207, A Vintage Original: Vintage Books, New York. (Verified on
paper)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody
turns it on, I go into the library and read a good book.

That's a pretty cynical attitude for "the leer"—that's me, Groucho—and
now that I'm a part of television, or "TV" as we say out here on the
Coast, I don't mean a word of it.
[End excerpt]

Here is the final paragraph of "King Leer" as reprinted in "The
Essential Groucho".

[Begin excerpt]
All I can say is this: Walk, don't run, to your nearest television set
in October, tune to KNBH, and join us for our first TV session of You
Bet Your Life. I think you'll like it.
[End excerpt]

The following cite does not explicitly name "Tele-Views", but it does
give a month and year.

[ref] 1993, Groucho Marx and Other Short Stories and Tall Tales:
Selected Writings of Groucho Marx, Edited by Robert S. Bader, Section:
Introduction, (Introduction by Robert S. Bader is dated April 1993),
Quote Page xxix, Faber and Faber, New York. (Verified with images of
1999 paperback reprint edition of 1993 first edition) (Amazon Look
Inside)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
A September 1950 piece called "King Leer" appeared in television
listings around the country to promote the impending debut of the
television version of "You Bet Your Life." "TV presents a completely
new set of problems to me. In my 35 years in show business, I've
learned the intricacies of the stage, then the movies, then radio. Now
comes television. I can't even learn how to turn it on." Groucho's
attitude toward the new medium was not enthusiastic. "I must say I
find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I
go into the library and read a good book."
[End excerpt]

Here is the "Reader’s Digest" citation. This alternative version of
the saying used the word "educating" instead of "educational". It also
used "other room" instead of "library". Some modern instances of the
quotation crossbreed versions employing "educational" and "other
room".

[ref] 1950 August, Reader’s Digest, Volume 57, (Freestanding
quotation), Quote Page 80, The Reader’s Digest Association. (Verified
on paper) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set
I go into the other room and read a book. —Groucho Marx
[End excerpt]

The Christian Science Monitor acknowledged "Reader's Digest" in August 1950.

[ref] 1950 August 3, Christian Science Monitor, In Lighter Vein: Marx
on TV, Quote Page 17, Column 4, Boston, Massachusetts.
(ProQuest)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Marx on TV

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set
I go into the other room and read a book.—Groucho Marx in Reader's
Digest.
[End excerpt]

The Washington Post printed an instance in November 1950:

[ref] 1950 November 5, Washington Post, Seldes is Disillusioned: On
Improving the Popular 'Arts' by Sterling North, (Book Review of "The
Great Audience" by Gilbert Seldes), Quote Page B7, Washington, D.C.
(In the original image the typo "Groucho Mark" appeared instead of
"Groucho Marx") (ProQuest)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Seldes' low opinion of television (so far) is reminiscent of a recent
wisecrack by Groucho Marx: "I find television very educating.
Everytime somebody turns on the set I go into the other room and read
a book."

Groucho's reaction seems to be far from typical.
[End excerpt]

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Garson O'Toole