"I'm good" -- chronology?

John Doe hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 10 01:59:32 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>wrote:

> She was also the first person I'd ever heard say "It's all good," meaning
> "Everything is going well; all is OK."
>
> By the bye, the now ubiquitous "good to go" came to my attention a few
> weeks before Operation Desert Storm in 1991. The CBS newsman characterized
> it as an army expression.

FWIW, I know "It's all good" as a variant of "All that's good." Both have
the meaning, approx., "I'm not defeated, dispirited, upset, hurt, downed,
et sim. by that."

My woman done quit me, but it's all good / all that's good.

For a while, "good to go" competed with the "ready to go" - some may recall
the latter as the catchphrase of In Living Color's Wanda: "I'm ready [rEt]
t' go!" Usually, a more rural form trumps a more urban one, as "holler
(at)" / "holla (at)" dusted off "hit me up" et sim.

Youneverknow.

I recall "ready to roll" as the military expression, but my life as a
soldier ended over a half-century ago.

I, sadly, have nothing to of value to say, WRT the original question. :-(

--
-Wilson
-----