Changes to Google News Archive and search

Sat Jan 11 04:56:23 UTC 2014

Dan Goncharoff wrote:
> What are you expecting to find in a search of the web before 1970??
>
> Or are you trying to search Books or News?

Sorry about the confusion, Dan. I was responding to the information in
Ben's message. Ben included the following link to a webpage for
"Advanced News Search":

https://news.google.com/news/advanced_news_search

When one visits the webpage there is a short delay and then a search
form pops up. I filled in the slots to perform a search for the word
"freedom" between two specified dates 1/6/1950 and 1/13/1960. No
matches were found. This result suggests that the form is misleading
and does not function properly for the dates indicated here

Ben also linked to a webpage with tips for searching the Google
Newspaper Images database with the Google web search engine.

https://support.google.com/news/answer/1638638

This page of tips notes that the following term can be added to a
standard Google web search and results within the newspaper archive
will be returned.

site:google.com/newspapers

Garson