Quote: History never repeats itself but it rhymes (attrib Mark Twain 1970) plus question regarding John Robert Colombo

Sun Jan 12 20:57:54 UTC 2014

Way back in June 2010 I posted to the list about the quotation
attributed to Mark Twain contained in the subject line. Now the Quote
Investigator website has entry:

History Does Not Repeat Itself, But It Rhymes
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/01/12/history-rhymes/

Various ADS denizens are acknowledged, and your help is appreciated

[Being excerpt]
(Great thanks to Barry Popik for his research on this saying. Thanks
to Daniel Gackle and Ben Yagoda who inquired about the Twain
attribution. Special thanks to Dan Goncharoff who located the 1845
citation. Thanks to Charlie Doyle, Wolfgang Mieder, and Fred Shapiro
for their work on “The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs”. Thanks also to
Victor Steinbok, Ken Hirsch, and Bill Mullins whose comments were
helpful. Lastly: In Memoriam: For my brother who also asked about this
saying in 2011.)
[End excerpt]

Garson