impactful, below-the-line, etc.

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jan 15 16:43:05 UTC 2014

"Currency" wasn't only paper, of course.  Was "buck" used out west to
refer to a dollar coin?  The OED says its earliest use was 1856, and
in Sacramento.

Has anyone ever suggested that the "obscure" origin (OED) of buck =
dollar might arise from the substitution of a dollar coin for the
buck handle in poker?

Is that what Gail Collins was imagining when she wrote
"currency"?  Unlikely, I suppose.

Joel