antedating of y'all (1702)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 17 22:21:37 UTC 2014

Nice find! .

This is unequivocally "y'all," and it's unequivocally from 1702.

But it may not be the kind of "y'all" we-uns is lookin' for.

That kind would be a "y'all" (or even a "you-all") used more or less
routinely in informal speech. This "y'all" appears instead to be a one-off
jocular contraction in a humorous, though formal, context.

In other words, it's relationship to Southern "y'all" is doubtful.

In fact it's extremely doubtful. Why? Because there's nothing again till
1856. That's a century and a half and an ocean away.  It's seems most
unlikely that if "y'all" were being used as routinely as it is in the U.S.
South somewhere in 18th C. England, there'd be other examples among those
180,000 titles.

Now if a bunch of conversational "you all"s  were to be found (addressed to
only two rather than a bunch of people) that would be extremely significant.

(I've searched for 18th century "you all"s, but ECCO isn't quite up to it,
giving thousands of false hits.  "Eighteenth Century Journals, 1685 -
1835," however, comes up with no positives at all. That's hard to brush
aside.)

But "y'all" in 1702 is nicely heuristic.

JL