_microfiche_: was ist das?

Mon Jan 20 23:38:25 UTC 2014

I spent maybe 20 years reading 18th & 19th C newspapers almost every day.
Would still be reading them every day, in fact,  if I hadn't moved out here
to the frontier.  After a stretch, reading them on microfilm would drive me
batty, but then, a day or two spent reading from the original paper at the
N-YHS and trying to make a note of something printed near the upper gutter
of the volume, while holding the notebook below the lower edge of the
volume, would have me yearning for the film again.
Meanwhile, I never encountered a run of a newspaper on microfiche, so I
suppose that the trade thinks as I do, that having 6 months worth of a
4-pages-an-issue, 6-issues-a-week newspaper on a single reel of film must
be more convenient than having that same file on a wad of fiche.
I now mostly use digitized files, since that's what's available to me where
I am now.  That format I don't find very convenient for reading through the
paper, one day and then the next day, and the next after that -- no more
convenient than a spool of film.  It of course offers the possibility of
searching, but my experience shows me that key-word searches of newspaper
texts digitized after printing will retrieve perhaps one-third of what is
in fact there.  Indeed, probably saying that these searches only miss 2 out
of 3 appearances of what is being searched for is too generous.  I've not
tried to quantify this rigorously, because my experience also teaches me
that the people who ought to be interested not only aren't interested, but
very strongly don't want to be told that a technology that is convenient
for librarians and saves researchers from having to exert themselves over
their research in fact doesn't work very well.

GAT

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 5:40 PM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu>wrote:

> As a librarian and library user, this is the first time I ever heard
> anyone refer to microfilm as "convenient."  Microfiche is far easier to use.
>
> Fred Shapiro

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.