New words from Sleepy Hollow

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 22 12:58:28 UTC 2014

> "A-game" is arguably being used figuratively.

Indeed. You don't play games with Moloch. (Or "Holy Moley!" to followers:
gullible etymologists take note.)

> There is a Purgatory Road in NY (probably Orange County), but it's 45
miles from Sleepy Hollow.

A minor poetic license. If anything, it supports a contention that the show
is based on fact.

When an idiom is used on a popular TV series (not even cable in this case),
that makes it a good bet that it is or is about to go into wide circulation.

That was not the case for "A-game" in 1968.

JL