Snake oil

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Jan 25 19:09:32 UTC 2014

Michael,

It isn't "rattle-snake oil", but if you're interested in the
suggested use of salad oil for "the Bite of Rattle Snakes" there is
an article in the Boston Gazette of 1739 Mar. 26, pp. 1--3.  Taken
"From the Philosophical Transactions for the Month of October, 1736",
it's "A Narration of the Experiments made June 1, 1734, before
several Members at the Royal Society, and others on a Man, who
uffer'd himself to be bit by a Viper, or common Adder; and on other
Animals likewise bitten by the same, and other Vipers. Drawn up by
Cromwell Mortimer, M.D. Secr. R.  S."  "Rattle Snakes" appears on
2/2.  My notes say olive oil was mentioned.

Later the BG of 1739 Aug. 27,  pp. 2-3, copies a letter to the New
York Gazette of Aug. 20, 1739, mentioning the Royal Society's
experiments, and asserting that a successful experiment had been made
"here" and "the same medicine will cure a rattlesnake's bite, and may
save many lives."  Also reported is the cure of a dog by the oil.

Joel