Possible QOTY candidate: "I believe that we will win"

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 2 15:06:58 UTC 2014

Well, I know its popularity is waning now that the U.S. Men's team is
out of the World Cup competition, sniffle, but I thought I'd at least
suggest it now if Fred is gathering contenders for Quote of the Year
as we go along.

Here's the background on the "I believe that we will win" chant:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2014/07/01/u-s-soccer-fans-i-believe-that-we-will-win-chant-started-with-navy-football/

The President yesterday surprised White House staffers with an
unannounced appearance during a viewing party of yesterday's match
between the United States and Belgium.  He entered the room chanting
"I believe that we can win," a not uncommon variant.  He can't really
be blamed for that one, either, given his earlier uses of "Yes, we
can!" and his comments during the 2008 campaign that, "I believe that
we can win."  (The latter was unchanted, of course.)

-- Bonnie