Origins of the Word "Soccer"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 3 03:08:16 UTC 2014

On Jul 2, 2014, at 10:22 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 5:39 PM, victor steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> A. were he to be asked what was his most pleasant recollection of Oxford
>> life
>>

> I'm running on memory fumes, as usual, but didn't Labov write that this
> construction of the "embedded question" was peculiar to BE, as opposed to
> the "standard"

Yes he did, and George Lakoff cited the same effect (although limited to embedded questions that are used to indirectly ask questions) for his dialect of (Jewish, Bayonne, NJ) English, citing paradigms like

a.  Tell me where did he go.
b.  I want to know where did he go.
c.  *Bill told me where did he go.
d.  *I know where did he go.
e.   I don't know where did he go.

And in Hispanic English, this kind of inversion appears to be more broadly acceptable, according to Carmen Fought.

LH