"The Real McCoy"

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 4 03:47:31 UTC 2014

WB:  <McKay> [muck-EYE] is a Scottish clan. The real-real <McCoy> were
refugees to Ulster in
​the ​
13th century.  Gaelic Mac Aoidh [muck-EYE].  Wikip s.v. McCoy etc.:  McKay,
McKoy, McKey, McKee, McCay, McKie, <<'Tain't funny, McGee>>. (Aoidh
translated to Welsh Huw, Hugh:) Hughes, McHugh (transl. Norman French
FitzHugh, Fitchew, Fitchie, Fithie, Fithye). I learned to say [muck-EYE]
when I had to go to Mackay Hospital, founded by pioneering Canadian
Presbyterian missionary to Taiwan, G.L. Mackay, whose schools were first
appropriated by the Japanese, then grabbed by Nationalist Chinese, who
turned it into a KMT cash cow, which I gratefully milked for 25 years.