Spanish Origin of Miniskirt?

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Jul 14 23:44:18 UTC 2014

I do see a number of articles from 1962 that refer to the skirts as "ya-ya skirts."   The earliest is in the Winnipeg Free Press, June 14, 1962.  It was called simply the "ya ya" in the Winnipeg Free Press on July 7, 1962.

Since these reports of "ya-ya girls" and "ya-ya skirts" seem to have spread quickly, I suppose that Occam's razor tells us that they must have spread to Mexico City, a psychiatrist wrote an article of some kind linking the short skirts to fears of international conflict, and a wire service reporter in Mexico City then wrote a humorous article based primarily on the psychiatrist's piece.  Perhaps the psychiatrist's piece used the term "minifalda," which I understand is Spanish for miniskirt.  But without further evidence we have no way of knowing whether it influenced the English term "miniskirt," beyond this one use in 1962.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of ADSGarson O'Toole
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:46 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Spanish Origin of Miniskirt?

The OED citation is dated August 6, 1962:

[Begin excerpt]
1962   Billings (Montana) Gaz. 6 Aug. 6/3   Ladies feel that while the
mini-skirt may be the least, it is the most.
[End excerpt]

There is an earlier AP article in June 1962 about the phenomenon of
young women wearing short skirts in England. The article referred to
the women as “Ya-ya girls”; however, the skirts were not called
“Ya-ya” skirts. The article did not contain the word “miniskirt” or
“mini-skirt”, but it included the measurement of eight inches above
the knee which apparently was also used in the later Montana AP
article.

The reporter obtained a reaction quotation from Mary Quant. Hence,
newspapers were linking Quant to the sixties seismic short skirt style
shift in 1962.