"School is _through_"

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Tue Jul 15 14:57:59 UTC 2014

"School's out for summer! School's out FOREVER!" Alice Cooper 1972
You Tube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbNEOJMGFAo
DAD

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 11:40 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "School is _through_"

Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
---

I recall "school's through".  And also Jon's "school's over".  Both
definitely with reference to the summer vacation, and not other
outages.  Such as "school's out" (at 4 PM; for the day, etc.).

NYC.

Joel

At 7/15/2014 08:00 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

>ISTR "School's over" also. (Summer only? Otherwise "out.")
>
>JL
>

> > Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      "School is _through_"

---

> > While scrolling through a list of oldies, I came across the title,
> >
> > "Summer's Here, School Is Through"
> >
> > Though I'm a "through" -speaker - I get through with whatever, I'm
through
> > with a book that I've just got through reading, the work is through, the
> > meal is through, etc. - I've never heard or read "*school* is through"
> > before.
> >
> > "School is through"? Kinda not quite right. About five minutes of
Googling
> > turned up other oldies entitled "Now That School Is Through" and simply
> > "School Is Through," and the sentence,
> >
> > "When the Sabbath school is through, you meet a great many people in
> > the meeting
> > house"
> >
> > from 1834.
> >
> > Heretofore, I'd been familiar only with,
> >
> > "School is out."
> >
> > Youneverknow.
> > --
> > -Wilson
> > -----
> > All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint to
> > come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> > -Mark Twain

Release Date: 07/15/14