"earl" for "oil"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 19 23:25:01 UTC 2014

Half the mystery is solved.

The lines I recalled from the "mid to late '60s" were attributed to Don
Marquis by the playwright and novelist Laurence Stallings in _The
Doughboys_ (N.Y.: Harper, 1963), ch. 11:

"[The 77th Division, AEF, consisted solely of men from NYC and environs.]
There were Turks who spoke a little Hebrew and Hebrews who spoke a little
Arabic. Many could speak nothing but Brooklyn English; their accent was
that of the Don Marquis ballad that ended:

       "Prince, when you call on a Brookalyn goil,
       Say Poil for Pearl, and erl for oil."

I still haven't traced its original appearance.

JL