"Quidditch" Not in OED (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jeff Prucher 000000b93183dc86-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Mon Jul 21 22:16:35 UTC 2014

On Monday, July 21, 2014 10:01 AM, "Mullins, Bill CIV (US)" <william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL> wrote:

>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       "Mullins, Bill CIV (US)" <william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL>
>Subject:      Re: "Quidditch" Not in OED (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
>Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>Caveats: NONE
>
>The film Star Wars opened in May 1977. "The Force" entered the popular spee=
>ch soon after:
>
>Baton Rouge _State Times_ 5/26/1978 p 3B
>"Adopting the theme "Use The Force -- Read," the city-parish library system=
>will begin enrollment for its summer reading program Wednesday."
>
>Portland _Oregonian_  7/28/1978 p C6
>[classified ad] "THE FORCE IS WITH YOU.  The Portland Metaphyscial Church c=
>an teach you how to contact & use the force within you."
>
>Kryptonite and "the force" have grown beyond their specific fictional uses.=
>  OTOH, I've never seen quidditch mentioned except in specific reference to=
>the Harry Potter universe.

Jesse alluded to this: http://www.usquidditch.org/
I bet more American college students know this meaning of "quidditch" than know what "korfball" is; if it persists in popularity, I imagine it'll show up in the OED eventually.