sea cunny

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jul 29 00:44:29 UTC 2014

Much less ribald than it would appear.  So while "coney" /'k^ni/ = 'rabbit' was taboo-avoided into non-existence when it wasn't tortured beyond recognition in "Coney Island" (and Fr. "connil" suffered an identical fate for essentially the same reason), "sea cunny" has somehow, as you note, thrived (or perhaps thriven) as an every-day expression.  Preserved by the saltiness, no doubt.

LH