WITHDRAWN -- Re: [ADS-L] "malaria" (oddly defined), 1715; antedates OED2 1740--

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jul 31 14:41:51 UTC 2014

A blunder of mine.  In my search I had seen (and ignored) several
false positives where GBooks had "malaria" but the page clearly had
"malacia".  But --

1)  Upon enlarging, my predisposition to find malaria helped convince
me the 5th letter was indeed a (lower case) R;

2)   I hadn't bothered to see what "malacia" meant.  In the OED I
would have found definitions for "malacia" matching the Dictionarium's.

3)   I overlooked checking where my "malaria" was placed in this
alphabetically-ordered dictionary!  You get one guess.

Blush!
Joel