antedating 'pad' = "lodging place"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Jun 1 15:50:16 UTC 2014

Jon, if you want to exclude this as not "pad, n2," 1.c, "lodging
place," perhaps you can try:

"pad, n.2.," 1.a, "A flattened bundle, mattress, or cushion of firm
but yielding material (originally straw) on which a person may lie or
sit."  The singular "their pad" being used in the "Rollicking Irish
Song" instead of "their pads" in order to "rhyme" with "squad."

Joel