"like a herd of turtles"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 10 12:28:42 UTC 2014

Obviously many did.  My SWAG, however, is that the phrase came first,
possibly in the buttless version.

IIRC, that version didn't make it into HDAS because first, the cites were
newer, and second, back in the "B's" I was maybe overly concerned about
whether a phrase was "slang" or merely "kind of informal."

Since big birds do take off, I opted for the latter. (To my way of
thinking, the suffixation of "-ass[ed]" makes any adjective or verb slang;
but what do I know?)

JL