early "tits"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 10 19:31:28 UTC 2014

> The cross-referenced "tit" spelling (s.v. "tit" n6), curiously, is said
to be "orig. U.S."

Not only that, but dated only to "1928."  Go figure. Which is why the
English ex. ca1840 is so vitally important to human understanding.

Note too that the {tit} forms sv {teat} exemplify (acc. to OED) not breasts
but nipples, whereas the exx. sv {tit} are defined as "breasts."  Go figure.

Another real question is why is there only one ex. of "tits" in the Bawdy
Songbook collection, and many exx. of "bubs" and "bubbies" (just one
modified vowel away from "boobies" and "boobs," also said to be of 20th C.
provenance.

As a proud American, I've never heard these pronounced with the
English-English / U /.

JL