Antedating of "boffin"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jun 12 13:51:11 UTC 2014

It might be a bit confusing, given the range of meanings.  OED takes us from sense 2:

2. A person engaged in ‘back-room’ scientific or technical research.The term seems to have been first applied by members of the Royal Air Force to scientists working on radar.

to sense 3:

Brit. colloq. In weakened use: an intellectual, an academic, a clever person; an expert in a particular field; esp. such a person perceived as lacking practical or social skills.

The extended sense seems more like "geek" or "nerd" than "scientist".  And the OED refuses to even speculate about the origin.

LH