irenicism

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 12 20:29:40 UTC 2014

A dedication to peace and reason, esp. in Christian debate.

Not in OED that I can see. 15,000 raw hits, 11,000 in GB.

1899 _Christian Work_ (Jan. 12) 47: Indeed, the present condition seems to
be one of pure irenicism.

1999 Eileen Egan _Peace Be with You_ (rpt. Eugene, Ore.: Wipf & Stock,
2004) 93: Erasmus attempted to bring reason and irenicism into situations
that were inflamed or to assuage the fury of ongoing war.

JL