Strait or straits (Re: buzz = 'fly close to')

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Jun 16 13:17:20 UTC 2014

Pondering the (etymologically-related) idiom "in dire straits," I was surprised to discover a generous Google presence of the singular "in a dire strait" (174,000 raw hits).

--Charlie

Poster:       Jonathan Lighter

"Straits of Hormuz": 154,000 raw hits.

"Strait of Hormuz":  1,200,000