cadence

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 17 15:54:22 UTC 2014

The "Duckworth Chant"  (e.g., "I don't know, but I been told....") is more
melodic than the standard "You had a good home but you left."  Both use a
descending tune for the "sound off!" chorus.

What is essentially the Duckworth melody was already in print in 1941 in
John Lomax & Alan Lomax's _Our Singing Country_ as the vehicle for the song
"The Marrowbone Itch," collected in Kentucky in 1937.

JL