Odd hyphenations

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 17 22:05:34 UTC 2014

When I was in the second grade, Sr. Claire Marie metaphorically kicked my
ass for hyphenating "often" as "of-ten." She just blew up. But, f the word
is pronounced "off'n," then its proper hyphenation will be less than
straightforward to the six-year-old mind. I *still* don't understand why.

Of course, these days, one is surprised by hyphenation not because it is
done well, but because it is done at all.

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Odd hyphenations

> Hyphenations seen today in the Boston Globe Sports section:
>
> de-ked -- to take off one canvas shoe?  (In reality, how Clint
> Dempsey maneuvered to score his goal for the U.S. in the World Cup.)
>
> chan-geup -- a cowboy urging on his Chinese horse?  (In reality -- or
> vain hope? -- something Red Sox pitcher Rubby De La Rosa is
> rightfully proud of.)
>
> No wonder non-native speakers can't learn how to pronounce English.
>
> Joel

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain