Quote: There but for the grace of God go I

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 20 18:47:53 UTC 2014

And supposedly it was Churchill, somewhat later, who adapted this to

"There but for the grace of God goes God".

referring to Sir Stafford Cripps, who is otherwise mostly remembered for the on-air spoonerism rendering him "Sir Stifford Crapps".

LH