Didn't as [dIdInt]

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Tue Jun 24 02:55:24 UTC 2014

My father sent me this message. I hadn't noticed this; has any of you?
He lives in Houston, Texas, and the person he reports on grew up in
Corpus Christi.

Neal

    Hi Neal.

    I?'d like to hear your commentary on something I have noticed a lot
    lately.It annoys me to no end.Many people these days, at least
    around here and especially on TV (and [a guy he knows] does it) is
    to pronounce contractions like didn?t as didint, instead of the
    obvious ?did? followed by an ?nt? sound. Similarly they pronounce
    couldn?t as couldint and wouldn?t as woodint, etc.Is this a regional
    thing?Or a dialect of some sort?Or is it bad grammar or diction or
    some affectation or just plain ignorance?How long have people been
    saying this, and what is its origin if you know?

    Love,

    Dad