Didn't as [dIdInt]

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Wed Jun 25 01:10:02 UTC 2014

Laurence Horn wrote, of Milton Berle:
> For me, that one is definitely of the co-articulated alveolar +
> glottal = stop followed by syllabic "n" variety, because we knew him
> well and = because the Milton was followed immediately by a clarifying
> Berle. But = I had a childhood friend named Milton Goldsmith who I
> would have = referred to in speaking to those who didn't know him,
> especially if I = was speaking on the phone, as "Mill-ton". I think.
> With JL's help, I'm = beginning to doubt myself on this, but I'm sure
> about "Wilton", = "Taunton", and "Downton". (The fact that "Downton"
> fails to rhyme with = "fountain"/"mountain" for me may be partly
> attributable to the former's = upper-crusted Britishness.

One might also recall the '60s cartoon "Milton the Monster"; in the
opening song, the title character definitely pronounced his name ("I'm
Mil-ton, your brand new son!") with a schwa in the second syllable. I
don't recall whether it was pronounced with syllabic "n" elsewhere in
the cartoon, though.

Jim Parish