Didn't as [dIdInt]

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Wed Jun 25 02:28:54 UTC 2014

Oops, I forgot page 2. Here's the more-inclusive list:

Words where syllabic /n/ is optional:

   * /nt/ Clinton, Boynton, Stanton, mountain, fountain, etc.
   * /rnt/ Thornton
   * /lt/ Milton, Elton
   * /rlt/ Carlton (side note: On "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," Will
     Smith and his co-star between them use both the syllabic and
     non-syllabic /n/ pronunciations for this character's name)

Words where syllabic /n/ is forbidden:

   * /nd/ Linden, Landon, London, Blendon
   * /rnd/ Herndon
   * /ld/ Holden, Sheldon, Alden
   * /rld/ Marledon (not a real name AFAIK, but I needed /rld/)
   * /pt/ Lipton, Clapton
   * /kt/ Acton, Stockton
   * /gd/ Higdon
   * /gzd/ Logsdon
   * /ft/ Bluffton, Crofton, Cliffton, (courtesy of Dad) Tifton
   * /st/ Easton, Boston, Westin
   * /St/ Ashton
   * /nst/ Winston, Dunston
   * /lst/ Ralston, Ballston
   * /kst/ Braxton

  Words where syllabic /n/ is mandatory:

   * /Vt/ Peyton, button, kitten, Wooton, etc.
   * /rt/ Carton, Burton, Morton
   * /rd/ pardon(?), cordon, burden
   * /Vd/ Hayden, hidden, sodden, wooden, and these days who could forget
     Jaden?