New sense for "static"?

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 1 03:36:24 UTC 2014

*As an extension of the following?4.*
 *a.* Electrical disturbances producing interference with the reception of
telecommunications and broadcasts, typically manifesting as crackling or
hissing noises; atmospherics. Cf. noise n.
11a<http://www.oed.com.proxy.bsu.edu/view/Entry/127655#eid34518590>
.
1905   *Jrnl. Soc. Arts* 20 Jan. 211/1   How far our spark interfered with
other systems it is beyond my knowledge to speculate... We found one enemy
when the rainy season approached. That was the 'static' caused by thunder
storms.
1913   *Wireless World* Nov. 508/2   Communication will also be had with
New Orleans, which the static formerly prevented.
1928   *Sat. Evening Post* 12 May 50/3   He had just paid $300 for a new
radio and..tried to get Dubuque, but there was much static.
1950   'N. Shute' *Town like Alice* v. 156   He wanted to see a live
broadcast of 'Much-Binding-in-the-Marsh' which he listened to on short wave
from Brisbane when the static permitted.
2005   *Wall St. Jrnl.* (Central ed.) 7 Dec. b10/1   The technology
eliminates hissing and static.