Do New-Englanders *add* R's?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 5 00:52:51 UTC 2014

On Mar 4, 2014, at 1:18 PM, Geoffrey Steven Nathan wrote:

> I don't have access to the script for Oklahoma at the moment (a number of years ago I was in a summer stock production of it) but my memory is that many of the words with schwa (particularly unstressed 'to', for example) were spelled 'ter'.
>
> The online versions of the song lyrics don't show this, but I think the original score and book did. Since it was written by Americans based on an American book (Green Grow the Lilacs) I just looked that up (you can find absolutely anything online) and found Aunt Eller saying 'skeered a womern to death' in Act 1, Scene 1, as well as 'hollers' (='hollows', which I think has been discussed earlier on this list).

Yes, and I was just re-wondering about "holler" (together with "yeller", "feller", "widder",...).  A couple of different thoughts were running around in confusion in my mind:  the use of "er" to designate schwa (as opposed to /o/) in non-rhotic varieties (including "er" for "uh", the hesitation phenomenon), hypercorrection  (as with the intrusive intrusive R of "idear"/"Cuber"), spelling pronunciation, and sound change, although this last doesn't strike me as particularly plausible--/wIdo/ > /wId@/ sure, but /wIdo/ > /wId at r/, especially in a rhotic dialect?  Doesn't seem likely to me.

LH