Ukraine vs The Ukraine

Wed Mar 5 11:11:47 UTC 2014

Tweet message:
Author: Di W ‏@di_f_w
Time stamp: 5:46 AM   5 Mar 2014
[Begin excerpt]
I wonder why we started saying "the Ukraine" and who I need to talk to
about getting a power name like "the New Zealand"
[End excerpt]

Wikipedia: Name of Ukraine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Ukraine
[Begin excerpt]
The name "Ukraine" (Ukrainian: Україна Ukrayina [ukraˈjina]) has been
used in a variety of ways since the twelfth century. Today, it is the
official name of Ukraine, the country in Eastern Europe. Previously
the country was generally called The Ukraine in English, but this
usage is on the wane and officially deprecated by the Ukrainian
government and many English language media publications.
[End excerpt]