The latest news: v Krymu, ...

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 7 19:23:11 UTC 2014

When I was 8, my favorite Czech name was Jiri Trnka (a few missing
diacritics, as I "knew" the name to sound like [Irzhi Tr at nkah] or
[JIrzhi]). Of course, a handful of Slovak cities kept it interesting too
(Brno, Trnava), both names and places known from watching hockey games.
It never occurred to me at the time that [r] could be incorporating a
hidden vowel, although I knew from Latvian and Lithuanian that marked
literals could represent consonant clusters.

     VS-)