WsOTY? "New Cold War"; "to ping"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 16 03:31:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 8:12 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> "To ping" -- to signal in an attempt to make a remote communications
> connection, which the missing Malaysia Airlines flight 370 apparently
> did for four hours after it went missing from radar.

  What is PING?

As a verb, _ping_ means "to get the attention of" or "to check for the
presence of" another party on line. The computer acronym (for Packet
Internet or Inter-Network Groper) was contrived to match the submariners'
term for the sound of a returned sonar pulse.

What is _ping_? - Definition from WhatIs.com - SearchNetworking.com

searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/ping
--
-Wilson
-----