"Slide down my cellar door" --> "most beautiful word" myth?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 17 18:02:25 UTC 2014

On Mar 17, 2014, at 1:52 PM, George Thompson wrote:

> Back in ca. 1963, when I was a college Trotskyist planning for the
> overthrown of the capitalist system, the pretty young woman who was the
> director of the YSA group I was in used the name "Celdora Green" for her
> revolutionary name.  She signed it to my membership card, which I have
> since deposited in the Tamiment Archive.  She chose it because she had read
> that "cellar door" had been proposed as the most beautiful phrase in
> English.
>
> And, yes, Wilson, back home in Meriden, Conn., a cellar door was the
> slanting flap at the side of the house that covered the steps down to the
> vertical door the opened into the cellar.

Does anyone know the story behind the other names for those slanty hatchway doors to the basement?  I've heard with some regularity both "bulkhead door" and what I always processed as "bilko door".  I assumed that the latter was a reduction of the former influenced by the good (TV) sergeant of that name, but now checking Google I find that Bilco® door is actually a trade-name.  But which came first, the Bilco door or the (Sgt.) Bilko < Bulkhead door?

> Note: Revolutionary Prescriptivism required that we refer to ourselves as
> "Trotskyists", because "Trotskyite" was the term preferred by the
> Stalinists to belittle the followers of Comrade Trotsky.

Isn't that a standard differentia for -ist vs. -ite?  (Granted, the Trotskyist/ite pair may have been a major factor in how those suffixes got that way.)

LH