10-year antedating of "syntax error"

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 19 10:00:00 UTC 2014

"Syntax error" has been added to the OED in the March 2014 update, first
cited 1973.

Here's a 1963, 1964 and possible 1962.

---

IBM, 1963, "1620 Data Processing System, Monitor I Programming System,
Education Guide" (R20-8005), page 8:

[Begin]
NEW FORTRAN COMPILATION ERRORS

TYPE I
41 Syntox [sic] error in disk I/0 statement
42 Disk 110 list omitted
43 Disk 110 list contains both simple and array names
44 COMMON exceeds core storage size

TYPE II
60 DEFINE DISK statement
missing
syntax error, or
invalid use
[End]

I think "syntox error" is a spelling error.

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/1620/monitor/R20-8005-1_1620_Monitor_I_Programming_System_Education_Guide_1963.pdf

---

Also a pair from February 1964 in:

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/common/Proceedings_of_the_1620_Users_Group_Joint_Canadian-Midwestern_Region_196402.pdf

---

A possible 1962 snippet in "TUTOR a student oriented computer language",
thesis by John Walter Rudan, Cornell University, 1962, page 108:

[Begin]
The specific noting of errors will improve the ability of the student to
recognise and correct the error before a succeeding trial and thus obtain
syntax error free object code for verification of the program results.
[End]

http://books.google.com/books?id=qS9UAAAAYAAJ&q=%22syntax+error%22+OR+%22syntax+errors%22&dq=%22syntax+error%22+OR+%22syntax+errors%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=YFwpU8uUBIToywPMtoCwDA&redir_esc=y

The book's in HathiTrush as search only, and also matches a page 108.

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt/search?id=coo.31924003979063;view=1up;seq=17;q1=%22syntax%20error%22;start=1;size=10;page=search;orient=0

WorldCat: