- "The Cliff-Hanger", episode 4

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Mar 19 17:35:05 UTC 2014

Today, in episode 4, Peter cites (by implication) his source:

Jenny: "What's the earliest documented case of the word 'cliffhanger'
appearing in print?"
Gina: "I...um...it..."
Nate:  "That's a wrap, folks!"  [Gina loses the Fact Town Smackdown.]
Peter:  "The Ewardshville Intelligencer, March 1936!"

http://www.gocomics.com/bignate/2014/03/19

I have informed cartoonist Lincoln Peirce that there is a 1931
quotation, not yet in the OED.

Joel