Use of "fag" in a 1933 movie to mean "gay"?

Christopher Philippo toff at MAC.COM
Fri Mar 21 23:35:29 UTC 2014

NY State’s film censorship board didn’t even put a checkmark by “pansy” or “fag” in the dialog script they were provided that would indicate they had any qualms about the lines.  They’re not mentioned on the report of the examiner either.  Perhaps the NY censors understood the words to mean nothing more than wimpy or foppish?

They required a number of other eliminations though, as indicated in the document below in case anyone’s curious.  Underlined lines below I’ve enclosed within underscores.

                                                        New York City,
                                                        April 21st, 1933.

First National Pictures Dist. Corp.,
321 West 44th Street,
New York City.

Gentlemen:- _ATTENTION: Mr. Albert Howson_

        Your picture “LITTLE GIANT” - with synchronization and dialogue - has been reviewed.  The following eliminations are directed to be made in all prints to be shown in New York State:-

The following eliminations are directed to be made in all prints to be shown in New York State:-

REEL 1:  Eliminate underlined words in spoken sub-title in dialogue:

“Huh?  _Oh not tonight, Josephine_, I’ve got a lot of heavy thinkin’ to do, me for the hay.”

REEL 2:  Eliminate underlined words in spoken sub-titles in dialogue:

“Yeah - we’re a cinch to get rid of our breweries and warehouses.  _We can sell ‘em to the Government._”

“_The Government?”_

“And in Reform School, when we got ahold of that _saltpeter_ —-“

REEL 3:  Eliminate spoken sub-title in dialogue:

“I used to have ten percent of a French dame.”

Eliminate underlined words in spoken sub-title in dialogue:

“I didn’t come way out here _to hustle any waitresses._”

REEL 7:  Eliminate all views of girl in negligee raising up from lying position on divan to answer telephone, and also view of man in pajamas raising up from lying position on divan when the girl tells him the call is for him.

_REASONS_

“IMMORAL”
“WILL TEND TO INCITE TO CRIME”
“INDECENT”

        Kindly make the required eliminations and return Reels 1,2,3 & 7 for rescreening.

Very truly yours,

[signed] Irwin Edmond
DIRECTOR