"White trash" (1821)

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 23 17:26:32 UTC 2014

Several years ago, Fred Shapiro presented an instance of "white trash"
from 1822.  (The OED's earliest citation dates to 1831.)

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0611A&L=ADS-L&P=R13891

Here's a very slightly earlier occurrence of "white trash" in Gale's
19th Century U.S. Newspapers database.  I found the text particularly
interesting, which explains why I included more than was necessary.
(Italicized text is indicated by asterisks.)

-- Bonnie

What has brought on the foregoing on this head at present was, an
incident that happened in Harrisburg a few days ago. viz -- a black
man had been advertised in some of the newspapers and was taken up as
a runaway from Maryland on his being sent off on Friday the 18th inst.
a considerable people of colour, both male and female, assembled who
generally seemed reluctant to part with him their associate and
friend, as he had lived some considerable time in this borough.  The
males said little on the occasion, but some of the other sex gave free
scope to their feelings, both against the Marylanders who had him then
in their custody, and the whites in general.  I happened to be in the
vicinity of one who spoke the English language tolerably well, she was
at no loss for words, nor sparing in throwing out her aspersive
epithets.  She had gone a certain distance with the man who was forced
away, and on her return accompanied by her son, who stopped almost
opposite where I stood, to talk with a white boy nearly his own size.
She, the mother, on missing him, turned around, and observing how ill
he was was [sic] paired, like a fury vociferated, with a curse upon
her son, *why do you lag behind? Come along and do not stand there
spending your precious time, in company too, and conversing with White
Trash*.

On hearing the phrase *white trash*, as it was altogether new to me
when taken in her sense, I seemed as if bitten by a tarantula or stung
by a galliniper.  I stood motionless and mum for a short period, but
fortunately thinking of Zimmerman on the Prejudices and Pride of
Nations, I was in a short time all serenity again, and believe now,
that this lady of colour had as good a right and it was as natural for
her to say *White Trash* as it would be for myself or any other of my
colour to say *Black Trash*.  -- LIBERTY AND EQUALITY.

[From "From the Chronicle. Anecdotes," The Illinois Gazette
(Shawnee-Town, Illinois), 23 June 1821, p. 1, columns 3 and 4.]