The new metaphor: The haystack and the 777

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Wed Mar 26 15:09:05 UTC 2014

I was interested in the elaborated "haystack" metaphor used by Sir Iain
Lobban, Director of GCHQ, last November:

    Sir Iain attempted a metaphor. The internet, he said, was "an
    enormous hay field", and his job was to "collect hay from those
    parts of the field which might be lucrative in terms of containing
    needles or fragments of needles". The hay came from "only a tiny
    proportion of that field", and he was "very, very well aware that
    within that haystack there's going to be plenty of hay which is
    innocent". He did not, he insisted, "intrude upon the surrounding
    hay". He elaborated on this theme for quite some time. "I'm looking
    for needles, I'm looking for fragments of needles. I do not look at
    the hay."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10434183/Sketch-Tinker-Tailor-Needle-Haystack.html