"Mein neuer Job als Babysitterin" [NT]

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Thu Mar 27 04:34:32 UTC 2014

From:    W Brewer<brewerwa at GMAIL.COM>

> WB's more worried about<der Job>. Google translator glosses it as<job,
> racket>. Is it pronounced [DzhAHB] or [YOHP]?  WB'd check whether<die
> Babysitterin>  has a criminal background, especially if she seems
> unconcerned about little things like below minimum wage, no health care or
> pension, and feels uncomfortable with the idea of elaborate camera
> surveillance in the home.
In my experience, it's pronounced as neither—it's [d͡ʒob]. (Well, plus a
combining ring below the b—i can't get that to happen here for some
reason.) The voiced affricate in the word has totally made it into
German, though it's not terribly widespread—i've noticed it showing up
in upper-middle class girls' names, particularly.

David B