Echo-questions

Pablo Dominguez pdguez at ULL.ES
Thu Mar 27 22:16:28 UTC 2014

I wonder if there is a name for echo-questions that do not have a previous
equivalent text explicitly formulated? K Vonnegut, Jr. in Happy Birthday
Wanda June provides these instances:

(p.74)

HAROLD: We came up behind a sentry, and your father slit his throat before
he could utter a sound.

PAUL (involuntarily) Uck

HAROLD: Don't care for cold steel? A knife is worse than a bullit?

(p.72)

PAUL: Tell me some stories about Dad.

HAROLD (Unused to the word Dad) Dad? (Accepting it) Dad (To himself) The boy
wants tales of derring do. Name a country.

PAUL: England?

HAROLD (disgusted) Oh, hell.

PAU: Dad was never in England?

---
Este mensaje no contiene virus ni malware porque la protección de avast! Antivirus está activa.