a font that no one knows why it exists

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 29 23:55:58 UTC 2014

Some formal philosophers are fond of the "such that" construction, which still involves a resumptive pronoun (as the "it" in the sentence below is called):

"…such that no one even knows why it exists".

Otherwise you'd need more radical surgery:

"…or any other weird computer…font whose existence no one can even explain", or whatever

The "such that" construction is available for all sorts of cases where the normal relative clause strategy (with gaps in place of pronouns) is unavailable:

"the woman such that I went to school with a guy whose younger brother married and later got divorced from her"
"the civil servant such that the governor's staff denied the claim that he was acting under official orders when he closed the bridge"

But it's not exactly English.

LH