bare possessive yall

Clai Rice cxr1086 at LOUISIANA.EDU
Mon Mar 31 23:05:08 UTC 2014

Dear All,

I am currently in the process of documenting that Cajuns often use the
unmarked form of yall as possessive: "I'll leave this on the table so yall
can sign yall names" or "How was yall weather up there?"

My instinct tells me this is used sometimes in AAVE, but so far the only
mention of it I have been able to find is in Wolfram's Urban AAVE article
in Handbook of Varieties of English (Schneider and Kortmann 2004). There
he gives the example of "It's y'all ball", but doesn't include it in the
discussion on possessives. Can anyone point me to other mentions or
discussions of this form, or any data where I might be able to find it?
Transcript data would be the best, but anything including personal
observations would be useful. The number of articles and books on AAVE
where I have not found it is becoming very long.

Thanks in advance.

Clai Rice