scrambling jets

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 1 17:16:53 UTC 2014

In my day, you only "scrambled jets" when it looked like flying saucers or
Russian bombers were heading your way.  "Scramble" implied a possible
attack, and "jets" implied interceptors.

CNN, however, has used the phrase several times in ref. to the failure of
the Malaysians to send out search and rescue planes to look for Flt. 370.

In other words, to "scramble jets" now presumably means no more than to
"order any jet aircraft into the air in an emergency."

Hair-splitting? Not on your bippy.

JL