Antedating and Origin of Bourbon Whiskey

Wed May 7 02:35:52 UTC 2014

Here are two citations in the 1850s linking Bourbon Whiskey to Bourbon
County, Kentucky. The second cite is from a "Dictionary of
Americanisms".

Date: August 6, 1857
Journal: Boston Medical and Surgical Journal
Volume: 57
Article: The Bourbon-Whiskey Traffic
Start Page 22
Quote Page: 23

http://books.google.com/books?id=40ksAAAAYAAJ&q=%22Bourbon+county%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Seriously, we presume few are so innocent as to believe that all the
liquor purporting to be Bourbon whiskey, comes to us from Bourbon
County, Kentucky. It is well known that gallons upon gallons of this,
and of other "warranted-genuine" liquors and wines are fabricated at
our very doors.
[End excerpt]

Year: 1859
Title: Dictionary of Americanisms: A Glossary of Words and Phrases
Usually Regarded as Peculiar to the United States