Thank you for calling -> Thank you?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 16 17:29:02 UTC 2014

I do say, "Thanks [not 'Thank you'] for calling" when somebody calls
unexpectedly with interesting news. (I doubt that I'd say it if news
weren't involved.)

But I have no reason to believe it was ever a "standard" way of signing
off.  My grandparents, for example, would say "G'bye," and I ordinarily
just say "Bye," "OK, I'll talk to you soon," or something like that.

JL